Who can sponsor relatives for U.S. immigrant visas for permanent entry?

A U.S. citizen may sponsor a spouse, parent, sibling, minor child or adult child (regardless of marital status), or fiancé for an immigrant visa (more commonly called a green card). However, a lawful permanent resident (green card holder) may only sponsor a spouse, minor child or unmarried adult child. Both citizens and permanent residents must […]

What is involved in a consultation?

An initial consultation is an important first step and it allows for the attorney to determine the proper course of action for your case. Your background, criminal/arrest record, ancestry, date of entry into the U.S., marriage, and other key areas of importance could all be discussed during the consultation before any substantive legal advice or […]

What if I can’t pay for everything upfront?

There is no need to worry. Alisheva Law accepts payment plans that fit your financial situation. We understand that expenses can be worrisome for our clients and we do our best to work with you regarding any fees and retainers. Furthermore, the small fee that is incurred from your initial consultation goes toward your overall […]

What are deportable offenses?

Using fraudulent documents, misrepresenting evidence to receive a visa (such as marriage fraud), committing crimes that fall under certain categories (drug crimes, aggravated felonies, domestic violence, child abuse, firearm offenses, and others), posing a threat to national security or public safety, helping others enter the country illegally, overstaying a visa, and voting illegally are the […]

Do I need an immigration attorney or can I do this myself?

Many choose to navigate through the immigration process alone or with limited guidance from online sources. This method is not advised, however, as mistakes can often be made and immigration law is more complex than one may think. Depending on your background and personal situation, there are important deadlines and filing procedures that need to […]